How to cook fluffy, perfectly cooked Basmati Rice, just like they do in India! Finished with an optional- tempering oil this rice is nothing short of delicious! Fast, easy and vegan-adaptable.
- 7–8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed.
Indian Tempering Oil:
- 2–3 tablespoons ghee (or sub coconut oil)
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- pinch salt
- 8– 10 curry leaves ( or use 2–3 bay leaves)
Middle Eastern Version:
- Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Add rice and simmer gently at a low boil, uncovered over medium heat until rice is just perfectly tender- check at 8-10 minutes, and continue cooking if need be. Keep in mind brown rice will take longer.
- Drain, and let stand over a strainer for 5 minutes.
- Feel free to place it back in the pot and cover until ready to serve.
- Optional Indian Tempering oil: Heat ghee over medium heat. Add seeds, salt and leaves, and saute until seeds begin to crackle- about 30-60 seconds. Turn heat off.
- Place rice in a serving dish and spoon tempering oil over top.
- Serve immediately!
Leftovers keep 4-5 days in the fridge (or freeze) and can be reheated.
To make Middle Eastern Version, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the smashed garlic clove and swirl until fragrant, add cumin and coriander seeds and a couple bay leaves. Pour the tempered oil over the rice ( discarding garlic) and garnish with some torn parsley leaves and an optional light sprinkling of sumac or lemon zest.
The rice is best, made right before serving. Sometimes I’ll have the pot of salted boiling water all ready to go, as well as the tempering oil. Then all I have to do is boil the rice right before dinner time.
If doubling the recipe, you probably only need 10-12 cups water.
- Serving Size: ¾ cup ( including the ghee tempering oil)
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 111.6 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.2 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: basmati rice recipe, perfect basmati rice, best basmati rice, how to cook basmati rice, perfectly cooked basmati rice, how to make rice fluffy, basmati rice recipes, indian basmati rice, hindu basmati rice,