- 20–24 inch baguette
- 3–4 tablespoons pesto- store-bought, arugula pesto or Basil Pesto
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 3–4 ripe tomatoes, medium
- 1–2 large mozzarella balls, sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar, or balsamic glaze
Arugula Pesto (makes one cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds (or toasted almonds, or pinenuts)
- 1 cup packed Basil leaves (or flat-leaf parsley)
- 2 cups packed Arugula
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4–1/2 tsp kosher salt (if your almonds are heavily salted, use salt to taste.)
- cracked pepper
- Make arugula pesto if using: Place everything in a food processor and pulse repeatedly, until uniformly combined, but not too smooth.
- Slice baguette in half lengthwise, leaving one side intact. Toast it a little if you like.
- Mix the 1/4 cup mayo and 3-4 tablespoons pesto together. Slather over the insides of the baguette.
- Layer with mozzarella and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh basil. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic.
- Close the baguette and cut it into 5- 6 pieces. Tightly wrap any leftovers and keep in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Feel free to sub avocado or goat cheese for the mozzarella.
Turn this into an appetizer ( finger sandwiches) by cutting into 14-16 pieces, using skewers or toothpicks to hold it together (skewer before cutting).
- Serving Size: with 1 cup cheese
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 1113.3 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 14.1 g
- Cholesterol: 5.1 mg
Keywords: caprese sandwich, tomato sandwich, heirloom tomato sandwich, tomato basil sandwich, tomato mozzarella sandwich