This Vegan Tuna Salad is made with hearts of palm (without chickpeas) and includes all the classic ingredients of traditional tuna salad. Vegan, plant-based and full of flavor, this healthy flavorful salad can be turned into wraps or sandwiches!
- 1 can of hearts of palm, drained, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) or sub jackfruit
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced (or sub green onion)
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped (or sub fennel bulb)
- 1/4 cup diced pickle (or sub 1–2 tablespoons capers)
- 1/4–1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (Italian Parsley, dill, cilantro or a combo)
- 1–2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo, or mayo (or see notes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- optional additions: dulse flakes, lemon zest,
Serve with toasted whole-grain bread, avocado and microgreens.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl- chopped hearts of palm, onion, celery, pickle or capers, fresh herbs, mustard, vegan mayo and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Most hearts of palm are canned with water, salt and citric or ascorbic acid- so there is an element of tanginess already here, but if you want to add more, feel free to add lemon zest, or a few drops of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Other ways to elevate this is to add a sprinkling of dulse flakes, a little caper juice or pickle juice, a pinch of cayenne, few drops of Braggs liquid amino acid- all optional here, but fun to play with.
- Serve over toasted bread, top with sliced avocado (season with salt and pepper) and microgreens. Or turn this into a hearty wrap.
Salad will last 3 days in the fridge.
Feel free to create “tuna melts” out of this- spoon some vegan tuna salad on a piece of bread, top with cheese or vegan cheese, place in a toaster oven or 375F oven until warm, toasty and cheese has melted.
Keywords: hearts of palm tuna salad, vegan tuna salad, vegan tuna salad no chickpeas, vegan tuna salad hearts of palm, vegan tuna salad jackfruit