Grilled Romaine Salad with Maitake Mushrooms and Furikake Caesar Dressing -a Japanese-Inspired Caesar salad that comes together in 20 minutes! Vegan adaptable!
- 1 large Maitake Mushroom (about the size of a large orange)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter or a combo of both
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- salt and pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- Garnish with capers, chives and furikake seasoning for sprinkling
Furikake Ceasar Dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo (or veganaise or vegan mayo)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste ( or mash two anchovies, or sub miso paste for vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely minced or grated
- 1 fat garlic clove- finely minced or grated (use a garlic press)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon furikake seasoning ( optional)
- Preheat Grill to Med high.
- Slice the Maitake mushroom in half through the stem end. Slice each half into 1/3 inch thick slices. You should have 6-8 slices. Heat oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat. Season the oil generously with salt and pepper and add the crushed garlic clove, swirling for about 2 minutes until fragrant. Remove the garlic.
- Pan sear each side of the mushroom until golden, tender and slightly crispy. About 4-5 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: If using whole anchovies, mash them with garlic and ginger using a mortar and pestil. Mix with remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- If using anchovy paste, whisk-mayo, vinegar, and anchovy paste until smooth. Add the minced garlic, ginger, salt and a few twists of cracked pepper. Stir in optional furikake seasoning and set aside.
- When the grill is hot, cut the romaine lettuce in half. Brush or spray the cut side of the romaine with olive oil. Place cut side down on the grill and sear, leaving the lid open. Sear just until grill marks appear, only about 2 minutes. You want to leave crispness in the romaine, so don’t overdo it or let them collapse. Remove it from grill and place on two plates.
- Divide the pan-seared Maitake mushrooms and place on top of each grilled Romaine half. Spoon the dressing over the romaine and mushrooms. Sprinkle with a few capers and the furikake seasoning.
- Scatter with some fresh chives.
- Serve with a knife and fork and devour immediately. 😉
Keywords: Grilled Romaine Salad, Grilled romaine, grilled caesar, grilled salad, grilled lettuce, grilled Caesar salad, maitake mushrooms, maitake mushroom recipes,