Grilled Garlic Scapes, Asparagus and Shishito Peppers with Sesame – a vegan, gluten-free adaptable side dish, perfect for summer!
- 1 small bunch asparagus (1 lb) Pencil thin- see notes.
- 8– 10 garlic scapes, trimmed ( see photo above)
- handful shishito peppers ( 6-8)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, shoyu, or GF Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 2 garlic cloves- finely minced
- 8 ounces tofu filets ( optional, or use fish or chicken)
- sriracha sauce or chili garlic paste sambal olek) – optional
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place all on the hot grill, turning the heat down to medium, turning them after a few minutes, covering for a couple of minutes, then rotating them again to get all just lightly charred. This will take about 6-7 minutes.
Feel free to toss tofu ( or fish or chicken) in the leftover marinade in the bowl. Add sriracha if you like for an added burst of flavor and heat. Grill alongside the veggies, or set veggies aside if they are done. Tofu will only take a few minutes if grilling time on each side.
Divide among two plates with optional garlic chili sauce on the side.
Thinner asparagus works best here since it will grill faster, about the same time as the peppers and scapes. If using thick asparagus, you will most likely need to pull the scapes and peppers off the grill earlier so they don’t burn. Garlic scapes can be found at most farmers markets right now. Shishito peppers can be found at upscale grocery stores, or Trader Joes.