A vegan-adaptable recipe for Grilled Artichokes with Basil Aioli and Herb Sauce. Flavorful, healthy and so delicious!
STEAM THE ARTICHOKES:
- Place a big pot on the stove with enough water to just come up to a steamer basket placed inside. To the water add the lemon slices, garlic cloves and sage (or bay leaves). Bring to a simmer.
- Prep the artichokes: With a very sharp knife, trim off the stems, and tipsand remove small tough outer leaves. Place them in steamer basket, bring water to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 20-45 minutes, depending on size. Steam until just tender. Let Cool. (At this point you could refrgerate for up to 3 days before grilling.) In the mean time make the Herb Oil and optional Aioli.
- Place the herbs and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 times until nicely chopped. Add the capers, olive oil, lemon juice, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pulse a few times and scrape down sides and pulse a few more times more.
- Here is your herb oil. Remove a 1/4 cup of the herb oil and set aside for grilling. You will use this to brush on the artichokes before you grill – and the remaining will be used for the aioli. (Alternatively, you could just use only the Herb Oil and skip the aioli, as the artichokes will be flavorful with just the Herb Oil)
- To the remaining Herb Oil- still in the food processor, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayo or veganaise (depending on how flavorful you like your aioli) the more you add, the less bold it will be. Pulse a few times till just blended. Don’t over-blend. Add more salt, or even chili flakes or Aleppo if you like. This Herbed Aoili is your flavorful dipping sauce.
- Heat up your grill to Medium. Get wood chips smoking if using. Cut artichokes in half, or in quarters and scoop out the fibrous insides, using a spoon, right next to the heart.
- Brush or spoon a little herb drizzle on the open side of the artichokes. Place artichokes, open side faced down on the hot grill. Brush the tops with a littl herb oil. Turn grill to medium and cover, and do not touch them for 5-7 minutes. If you are using small artichokes, it may be 3-4 minutes, This will give them nice grill marks. Flip and cook 2 more minutes.
- Once you see a little char, platter them up with the remaining herb oil or the Aioli.
You can also steam artichokes in an Instant Pot, using high pressure. Small chokes take roughtly 10 minutes, larger chokes can take up to 20.
- Calories: 246
Keywords: grilled artichokes, how to grill artichokes, grilled artichokes recipe