This healthy Green Bean Casserole is made with fresh green beans, oven-baked crispy shallots, and a creamy mushroom sauce that is VEGAN! Easy, healthy and delicious, worthy of the holiday table.
1 – 1 1/2 lbs Green Beans, stems removed
Crispy Onions (or shallots)
- 2–3 shallots, or 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons panko or breadcrumbs
- generous pinch salt and pepper
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour or GF flour
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 cup nut or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Prep the green beans: Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the green beans and blanch, until tender 5-6 minutes. Drain.
- Make the crispy baked onions: While water is boiling, thinly slice the shallot or onion into rings, place on a parchment-lined sheet pan, separate the rings, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with panko and salt and pepper, tossing to coat well. Yes, the crumbs may not stick- this is OK. Bake 17-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until lightly golden. Note: Shallots will brown faster than onions so watch these closely. ALSO-You’ll bake these again with the casserole, so don’t let them get too dark here.
- Make the Mushroom Sauce: In a heavy bottom pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and saute 5-6 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and continue cooking until the mushrooms release their liquid and begin to carmelize, another 5-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour, and toast the flour, stirring for 60 seconds. Add the veggie broth and stir well to incorporate the floured mushrooms. Bring to a simmer, stir in the nut milk and miso paste, stirring well. Bring to a simmer, once simmering, it should thicken slightly, then turn off heat. If you prefer a little tanginess, add 1/2 -1 teaspoon dijon mustard.
- Assemble: In a greased 8×8 baking dish, (for 1 lb green beans) or 9×13 (for 1.5 lbs green beans) place the drained green beans. Pour the mushroom sauce over top, spreading it out. Top with crispy onions.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- If your onions happen to get too dark, during the first go around, add them to the casserole during the last 5-10 minutes of baking- as they will darken even more.
- Feel free to make this ahead (leave onions off) and refrigerate. Bring to room temp before baking, top with crispy onions and bake at 350 uncovered, until bubbling, 25-30 minutes.
- Leftovers keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Feel free to add 1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans) for a heartier dish.
- 1 lb green beans serve 4-6 people. 1 1/2 lbs green beans serve 6-8. I kept the topping the same for both, so it will be considerably “lighter” with the bigger portion of green beans. I prefer the richness of of the topping with 1 lb of green beans. 😉
Keywords: healthy green bean casserole, vegan green bean casserole, fresh green bean casserole