Simple Garam Masala Recipe
A simple homemade Garam Masala Recipe that can be made in 10 minutes – with ground fragrant spices you already have in your pantry. Easy, healthy and authentic! See notes for toasting whole spices.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: ⅓ cup
- Category: Spices, Spice blend
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cardamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
Mix all ground spices together in a small bowl and store in a sealed jar.
To bump up the flavor and fragrance, lightly toast the amount called for in a recipe, just before using, in a dry skillet, over medium heat, stirring until fragrant and lively.
To make a more authentic version of Garam Masala using whole spices, toast the following in a skillet.
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds from green pods ( or a mix of black and green)
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1-3 dried red chiles, more to taste ( or sub 1 teaspoon chili flakes)
- 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon chunk or piece of whole nutmeg ( roughly)
Lightly toast over medium heat in a dry skillet, until crackling and fragrant, stirring often, being careful not to scorch. Grind in a Spice grinder or blender
until ground into a fine powder. Store in a sealable jar.
Keywords: garam masala, garam masala recipe, easy garam masala recipe, how to make garam masala, garam masala substitute, what is garam masala, garam masala spices,