An easy recipe for tender French Toast enhanced with spices, orange zest, and lightly sweetened with maple syrup. Top with Fresh Berry Compote for a perfect weekend breakfast treat.
- 1 loaf country sourdough bread, sliced into 3/4″ slices (or challah, brioche -softer airy bread will get the fluffiest-depends on the texture you prefer)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, about 1 medium orange worth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, maple syrup, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg and salt until completely smooth. Use an immersion blender if needed. Pour into a shallow container. (A rectangular pyrex works great to do several at the same time.)
- Dip the slices of bread into the custard, letting it soak for 2-5 minutes on each side. ( This will depend on the type of bread you use and how quickly it soaks up the custard.) Transfer to a rack placed over a pan and let excess drip off.
- Heat a skillet to medium low. When the pan is fully heated, add 1/2 tablespoon of butter, as it melts place a soaked slice into the pan. Cooking for about 3 minutes per side, letting it get golden and slightly puffy in the center. Add more butter as needed.
- Bring maple syrup and 1 cup of the berries to a low bowl in a sauce pan. Let simmer for 2 minutes, mashing the berries a little with the back of a spoon to break down a bit.
- Mix orange juice with cornstarch and a pinch of salt until perfectly smooth. Whisk into the maple berry mixture stirring all the while. Continue stirring until thick and bubbly, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups of berries.
To Serve: Top the French Toast with berry compote and yogurt cream (see notes). (More butter and maple syrup is optional of course!)
To keep the French Toast warm, place in a 200F preheated oven until ready to serve.
To make yogurt cream simply use 1 part greek yogurt to 1 part freshly whipped cream. Add sweetener and vanilla if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 18.2 g
- Sodium: 161.9 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 102.1 mg
Keywords: French toast, French toast recipe, easy French toast, best French toast, French toast with sourdough, brioche French toast, challah French toast