A delicious healthier take on French Onion Dip made with caramelized onions, creamy Greek yogurt, and fresh herbs. A perfect make ahead appetizer for potlucks and parties.
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chives, fresh and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire (see note)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Slice the onions into half moons, with the grain no thinner than 1/8 inch thick.
- Caramelize the onions: Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet or carbon steel pan on medium-high. When the pan is hot, add onions stirring a few times- cook this way, without oil, for 5 minutes. Add the olive oil and salt, stirring for a minute to fully incorporate. Turn heat down to medium-low. Stir every 5-10 minutes for 30-50 minutes. The onions should be a dark caramel color, smell amazing and be greatly reduced. Deglaze the pan by adding 1 tablespoon of water and scrape the pan to get the stuck crusty browned bits off the pan. This is known as fond and is bursting with flavor. Don’t skip this step! See the full recipe on How to Caramelize Onions.
- Dice up caramelized onions. Measure out 1/2 cup.
- In a bowl mix together yogurt, salt, pepper, chives, parsley, garlic powder, Worcestershire and apple cider vinegar. Fold in the chopped caramelized onions until the dip is thoroughly combined. Adjust flavors adding more salt, pepper or vinegar as desired.
- Serve chilled with chips, crackers and fresh veggies.
Homemade French Onion Dip will last up to 5 days sealed and refrigerated.
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 89
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 318.7 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 5.4 g
- Cholesterol: 7.4 mg
Keywords: French Onion Dip, Onion dip, French Onion Dip Recipe, Healthy French Onion dip recipe, French onion dip yogurt