Black Rice Pilaf:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ( or butter)
- 1 shallot – chopped
- 1 1/2 cups forbidden black rice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme ( or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon broth or stock ( veggie or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds ( save 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- Garnish: 1-2 tablespoons Italian parsley
Stove Top Method: Bring water and rice to a boil, let simmer uncovered until tender about 20-25 mintues. Drain and fluff. Season!
Black Rice Pilaf: heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and add the shallots, stirring until golden and fragrant, about 4 -5 minutes. Add rice and thyme and saute 3-4 minutes. Add stock, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper and 1/2 the almonds. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover, turn heat to low and cook 25-30 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and rice is tender. Garnish with remaining almonds and parsley.
The stovetop method is fastest.
The instant pot is the least hands-on time.
The Pilaf has the Most flavor!
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrates: 34 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: how to cook black rice, forbidden black rice, black rice recipes, black rice health benefits, low carb rice, forbidden black rice recipes