- 3 large eggplants (about 3 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, spray olive oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- one onion, diced
- 4–8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 6 ounces baby spinach, about 2 extra-large handfuls
- Salt and pepper to taste ( 1/4 teaspoon each)
- 16-ounce tub of whole milk ricotta (or sub tofu ricotta)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 24-ounce jar marinara sauce, about 3 cups
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles (or sub- gluten-free lasagna noodles) Feel free to use regular lasagna noodles that have been cooked to al dente.
- 1– 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella (or meltable vegan cheese)
- 1/4– 1/3 cup pecorino (or parm, but I like pecorino better here)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
One batch Arugula Almond Pesto
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds, pinenuts or smoked almonds
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 cup packed arugula
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3–1/2 cup light flavored olive oil (make sure oil is not bitter)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (if your almonds are heavily salted, use salt to taste.)
- 1/4 cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Sweat and ROAST EGGPLANT: Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch thick slices and place on two parchment-lined sheet pans. Sprinkle half the salt over the top as evenly as possible. Turn each piece over and sprinkle the remaining salt. Let the eggplant sit (and sweat) 15-20 minutes while the oven gets hot. When the eggplants look damp, pat the top side down with paper towels. Brush or spray with olive oil. Flip them. Blot with paper towels, spray with olive oil. Roast in the middle of the oven for 30-40 minutes, checking at 25 minutes. Roast until golden and tender. Thinner slices will cook faster, thicker slower. Watch your eggplant!
- SPINACH FILLING: While the eggplant roasts, make the filling. In a large skillet, saute the onion, over medium heat until. tender about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the fresh spinach, lowering heat, gently wilting. Season with salt and pepper, turn heat off.
- RICOTTA MIXTURE: In a medium bowl, whisk with a fork, the ricotta, egg, nutmeg, basil and salt. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE: Spray or brush a 9×13 baking dish (or 12-inch round baking dish) with olive oil. Place 3/4 cup marina sauce on the bottom, or enough to cover the bottom. Place the no-boil lasagna noodles over top. Spread another thin layer of marinara over the pasta, or just enough to lightly coat. Add half the roasted eggplant, overlapping a little if need be. Dot with half of the ricotta mixture. Spoon all of the wilted spinach mixture over top evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2- 3/4 cup mozzarella and 1/8 cup pecorino. Add another layer of pasta sheets. Lightly cover with 3/4 cup marinara (you’ll need one more layer of marinara for the top, so if it looks like you could run out, water this down a bit here.) Next add the remaining eggplant, overlapping if need be. Smother with the remaining marinara sauce and spoon the remaining ricotta in fluffy dollops over the top. Sprinkle with a few chili flakes, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/8 pecorino.
- BAKE: Cover with foil (if your lasagna comes to the top edge of the baking dish, cover with parchment first and then with foil) and bake in a 375 F oven for 45-50 minutes, uncover and bake 10-20 more minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- While it is baking make the Arugula Pesto – place everything in food processor and pulse until combined, but not too smooth. Add more oil, to make it looser if you like, or less to make it thicker.
- The lasagna is done when it is golden, bubbling and slightly puffed in the center.
- Let it rest 5 minutes before serving, dot it with Arugula pesto or serve it on the side.
Additions: Feel free to add ground meat or mushrooms to the onion mixture to “beef” it up. I find the eggplant is quite filling on its own, but up to you. Just make sure your filling is seasoned and flavorful if adding to it. 🙂
LOW CARB: YES you could leave out the lasagna sheets altogether and use the eggplant as the “pasta” here for a keto version. I would add one more eggplant. I like the structure the lasagna noodles bring, but it’s good without too.
To reheat, let it come to room temp, cover, bake at 350F or 375F oven for 25-30 minutes. Or microwave.
- Serving Size: 1/8th without pesto
- Calories: 371
- Sugar: 9.5 g
- Sodium: 722.7 mg
- Fat: 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 8.4 g
- Protein: 16.8 g
- Cholesterol: 70.7 mg
Keywords: Eggplant Lasagna, roasted Eggplant lasagna, keto eggplant lasagna, low carb eggplant lasagna, vegetarian lasagna, vegetarian lasagna recipe,