Here’s a healthy, lightened-up recipe for Mexican Chorizo, a smoky spicy and flavorful Mexican style sausage using ground turkey or ground chicken. A delicious addition to breakfast bowls, tacos, scrambles & burritos! Can be made in 20 minutes. Low-carb and GF!
- 1 pound ground turkey ( or ground chicken)
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic ( or 2 cloves finely minced garlic)
- ¼–½ teaspoon chipotle powder (or cayenne) or sub chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (white, red, or apple cider)
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix well using your hands.
- Store in the fridge, or freeze until ready to use.
- To cook, simply brown it in a skillet with a little oil, breaking it up into smaller pieces, like you would ground beef. (Alternately, you could shape into breakfast patties,or burgers, and sear, finishing in the oven if necessary.)
- Use in breakfast bowls or tacos, burritos, enchiladas, pizza, quesadillas, nachos, etc.
I generally use 1 teaspoon kosher salt per pound of meat for the best flavor. Feel free to use less. Because chorizo is generally added to other things to enhance flavor, I like mine a little on the salty side. Adjust to your own tastes.
Keywords: Healthy chorizo, turkey chorizo, chicken chorizo, turkey chorizo recipe, how to make chorizo, chorizo recipe, mexican chorizo, what is chorizo?