Healing Lentil Beet Soup – this vegan, low-calorie soup, is healing and cleansing – packed full of antioxidants that aid the liver.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- ½ cup dry whole lentils (the smallest lentils cook the fastest- I like Black Caviar, and do not use split lentils)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or sub half coriander)
- 2–3 cups grated beets (2 tennis ball sized beets, peeled, grated). FYI You can sometimes find grated beets in the “salad bar”section of upscale grocery stores.
- 1 lemon
- Garnish: fresh herbs (dill, flat leaf parsley or cilantro) drizzle of olive oil, pomegranate seeds (optional).
- Heat oil in medium pot over medium heat. Sauté shallot for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic. Saute 2 more minutes until golden and fragrant. Add water, lentils, beets (save a little for fresh garnish) salt and cumin. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook on low simmer, for 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through and tender. If using larger lentils you will need to cook longer, so keep simmering, covered until tender.
- When lentils are tender, squeeze in the juice from one lemon.
- Divide among 2 bowls. Top with a handful of fresh grated beets and fresh dill (or cilantro, parsley) and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add a few fresh pomegranate seeds if you like.
- If serving someone who prefers extra richness, feel free to top with a little plain yogurt or sour cream, but know that the olive oil really adds a nice richness to this.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 13.3 grams
- Sodium: 1008.5mg
- Fat: 8.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.1
- Carbohydrates: 53 grams
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 15.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: detox soup, detox lentil soup, beet soup recipes, vegan lentil soup recipes, best lentil soup, best beet soup, lentil soup recipes, cleansing recipes,