Healing Lentil Beet Soup – this vegan, low-calorie soup, is healing and cleansing – packed full of antioxidants that aid the liver.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup dry whole lentils (the smallest lentils cook the fastest- I like Black Caviar, and do not use split lentils)
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2–3 cups grated raw beets (2 tennis ball-sized beets, peeled, grated). FYI You can sometimes find grated beets in the “salad bar” section of upscale grocery stores.
- 1 lemon
- Garnish- fresh herbs (dill, flat-leaf parsley or cilantro) drizzle of olive oil, pomegranate seeds (optional).
- Heat oil in medium pot over medium heat. Sauté shallot for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic. Saute 2 more minutes until golden and fragrant. Add stock, lentils, beets (save a little for fresh garnish) salt and cumin and coriander. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook on low simmer, for 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through and tender. If using larger lentils you will need to cook longer, so keep simmering, covered until tender.
- When lentils are tender, squeeze in the juice from one lemon.
- Taste and adjust salt and spices to your liking.
- Divide among 2 bowls. Top with a handful of fresh grated beets and fresh dill (or cilantro, parsley) and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add a few fresh pomegranate seeds if you like.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 13.3 grams
- Sodium: 1008.5mg
- Fat: 8.1 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1.1
- Carbohydrates: 53 grams
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 15.7 grams
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: detox soup, detox lentil soup, beet soup recipes, vegan lentil soup recipes, best lentil soup, best beet soup, lentil soup recipes, cleansing recipes,