This Curried Split Pea Soup is a fresh take on the traditional. Creamy and delicious, enhanced with yellow curry, coconut milk and fresh peas. Vegan!
- 2 cups green split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped about 1 cup
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped about 1 cup
- 1 small apple, chopped about 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups flavorful vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (add more to taste)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
optional additions: 1/4 cup fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried
- Bring the splits peas to a boil with the 6 cups of water. Do not add salt! Simmer for 30-40 minutes until tender. Drain off the excess water.
- Meanwhile prep and chop your ingredients.
- Sauté onion, ginger, celery and apple until softened about 3 minutes (we use coconut oil or avocado oil). Add the cooked and drained split peas, curry powder, pepper, cayenne, salt, and broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Add coconut milk, peas, and cilantro. Blend together (with a blender, food processor or immersion blender) until smooth. If you like a little more texture reserve 2 cups of soup and blend the rest, combine together and gently reheat to serve. Add lemon juice, then adjust lemon and salt to taste.
Garnish with fresh cilantro, a drizzle of coconut cream or yogurt.
Adding salt to the split peas, in the beginning, prevents them from getting soft.
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge- or freeze up to 6 months.
- Serving Size: a generous cup
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 8.8 g
- Sodium: 377.2 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 15.8 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: curried split pea soup, coconut split pea soup, vegan split pea soup, curry split pea soup