- 2 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 1 medium-large apple, (gala, honey crisp) rough chopped (and please don’t leave this out!)
- 4–5 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, rough chopped
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped small (slice into 1/2 inch slices, then chop)
- 2 1/2 cups veggie broth (or use water and 2 bullion cubes)
- 2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (equal parts liquid and solid) See notes for substitutions.
- squeeze of lime (tablespoon) or orange juice is nice too.
Garnish: Toasted coconut flakes, toasted nigela seeds, cilantro or scallions or sprouts.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, oaver medium high heat. Add onions, saute 2-3 mintues. Add garlic, ginger and apple and keep sauteing, turning heat down if need be, until golden and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Add cauliflower, veggie broth, curry powder, coriander, turmeric and salt. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low heat until cauliflower is very very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree until very smooth- either using an immersion blender or blender (in batches).
- Add the lime juice, and stir in the coconut milk. (I used about 1/2 of a 14-ounce can, both solids and liquid- feel free to add more cocontu milk to taste- personally, it felt too heavy using it all- but up to you! If you do add more, you may need more salt.)
You can substitute 1/2 -3/4 cup plain yogurt for the coconut milk, but then you may not need the lime juice. Or only a little. Yogurt is quite tangy. Taste as you go. 🙂
You could also try subbing a cashew cream. You would for sure need the lime or orange. 🙂
To toast coconut flakesplace them in a dry skillet on the stove, over medium heat, stirring until they turn golden and smell amazing. Throw the nigella seeds into the skillet at the very end, toast 30-60 seconds.
To make in an INSTANT POT:
- Set it to Saute function and saute onion, apple, garlic and ginger in 2 tablespoons oil, until fragrant and golden, about 5 minutues.
- Add broth, all the spices, salt and cauliflower. Stir.
- Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 7 minutes. Manually release. Blend the soup until very very smooth.
- Place back in Instant Pot, and set to warm. Stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Taste, and serve.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes and optional nigella seeds
Keywords: vegan cauliflower soup, curried cauliflower soup, best cauliflower soup recipe, Indian cauliflower soup, curry cauliflower soup, Keto cauliflower soup