Cranberry Pot Roast – a simple festive recipe for beef roast, baked with fresh cranberries and roasted in the oven- tender, juicy and flavorful! Perfect for the holidays or a simple Sunday super.
- 1–2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4– 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast- organic, grass fed, local if possible
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 12 oz bag fresh cranberries ( or 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme ( or rosemary)
- 1 cup ruby port -a red port( do not use tauny port) the very inexpensive kind-found at most grocery stores, or sub a rich deep red wine ( like cab) and increase the sugar by 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 4 Tablespoons sugar ( or maple- see notes)
- 2 Tablespoons whole mustard seeds ( or whole grain mustard)
- Pre heat oven to 350F
- Heat oil in an oven proof dutch oven, over medium high heat. Rub chuck roast with salt and pepper on all sides, and brown all sides very well. Be patient here and get a good crust!
- While meat is browning, dice the onion, garlic, celery and carrot
- Once meat is nicely browned on all sides, set aside on a plate.
- Add onion, celery and carrot, to the same pan, turn heat to medium and sauté until they soften, about 5- 6 minutes.
- Add cranberries, ruby port, beef stock, sugar, thyme or rosemary, and mustard seeds and give a stir.
- Nestle meat into the middle, bring to a simmer, cover tightly and place in the oven.
- Bake for 3 hours ( or longer if a bigger cut of meat) Meat should be fork tender, and cranberry port sauce, reduced. If Sauce seems too thin, continue baking uncovered, or simmer on stove top, uncovered until it reduces and thickens a bit.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower or whipped sweet potatoes with a little cranberry sauce over top.
I’ve tried reducing the sugar, and it is just WAY too tart. I know it seems like a lot, but the fresh cranberries need this amount to balance it all out.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 559
- Sugar: 21.3 g
- Sodium: 649.5 mg
- Fat: 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 58.5 g
- Cholesterol: 167.6 mg
Keywords: Pot roast recipe, beef roast, cranberry recipes, cranberry pot roast, beef with cranberries, holiday roast, christmas roast, thanksgiving roast, chuck roast recipe, easy pot roast, easy beef recipe, holiday dinner recipe