Here are our top 25 Vegetarian soup recipes for fall and winter that are cozy and comforting. Many are vegan adaptable: Butternut Soup
- 1 med-large butternut squash (3 pounds -or roughly 4 cups of cooked butternut)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, olive oil or butter
- 1 large apple- gala, honey crisp, diced (more for garnish, optional)
- 2 large shallots (or 1 onion)- diced
- 5 fat garlic cloves – rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger – rough chopped ( or use ginger paste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, and more for garnish
- 3 1/2 –4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock (I used 4 cups water with 2 teaspoons veggie bouillon paste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- fresh grated nutmeg– optional ( about 1/4 teaspoon, more to taste, feel free to use ground)
- pinch cayenne -optional, but tasty here.
- 1/2– 3/4 cup coconut milk (from a can) or use 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half. For a lighter version, sub almond milk or just leave it out, thinning the soup with more veggie stock if you prefer.
- 1–2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional- see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (optional- see notes)
- Optional Garnishes- crispy sage, Pumpkin seed “Brittle”, sumac, warm coconut milk, sautéed diced apple (sauté in coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Split the butternut in half lengthwise, place open side down, on a greased or parchment-lined, rimmed sheet pan. (See notes) Roast 30-35 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin at the top, narrow end.
- While the butternut is roasting, chop the onion, apple, garlic, and ginger and herbs.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add onion and apple and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring until golden and tender, then add garlic and ginger, and cook 4-5 more minutes, add the herbs,turning the heat down to med-low for one more minute. It will smell divine. Turn heat off.
- When the butternut is tender, flip them over, let them cool down, enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out flesh and place in a bowl, you should have 3 3/4 to 4 cups.
- Add the apple onion mixture to the same bowl.
- Then, blend in batches with the veggie stock until very smooth, using a blender. (If using hot ingredients, be sure to Hold the lid down tight with a kitchen towel– to prevent a blender explosion!) If you prefer a thicker soup, add less water, thinner soup, more water.
- Add the blended soup back into the same pot and warm over low heat. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg. Stir in you choice of milk to desired richness.
- Taste. If you’d like more sweetness, a teaspoon or two of maple syrup will help. If you need a little acidity, a few drops of AC vinegar, or squeeze of orange juice is nice. Adjust salt.
- To serve, divide among bowls, sprinkle with maple-glazed pumpkin seeds, crispy sage leaves, sautéed apple.
- Serving Size: -with ½ cup coconut milk
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 14.5 g
- Sodium: 770.6 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.6 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5.9 g
- Cholesterol: 3.6 mg
Keywords: vegetarian soup ideas, vegetarian soup recipes, vegan soups, vegetarian soups, vegan soup ideas, vegan soup recipes