A delicious recipe for Cornmeal and Coriander Crusted Fish ( halibut, sea bass, black cod OR Tofu ) served over a fresh Summer Succotash.
- 2 x 6 ounce Halibut Filets ( or seabass, black cod, or tofu filets)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon, plus extra pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika – optional
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onions- diced
- 10–12 fava bean pods, shelled (or sub 1 cup shelled edamame, or chopped okra)
- 1 poblano, pasilla or bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves- minced
- ½ a jalapeno- finely diced (optional)
- 2 ears of corn, shucked, kernels cut off
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- 1 lime
- 1–2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 large pinches kosher salt
- Pinch cayenne, or chipotle powder– optional
- 2 tablespoons or more, fresh cilantro
Optional additions- bacon crumbles, butter, other veggies like zucchini, red bell pepper,
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt and spices together in a wide shallow bowl, big enough for dredging the fish or tofu.
- To make fish heat oil in a skillet, over medium high heat. Dredge fish or tofu in the Cornmeal mixture and place in the hot skillet, searing until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn over, turn heat down to medium. Cook 2-3 more minutes, and place in a warm oven, until cooked to your desired “done-ness”.
- Make the succotash – In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Turn heat down to medium, add fava beans and poblano pepper and and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, lowering heat if necessary.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, fresh corn and salt and spices and cook 2-3 minutes. Add broth, and simmer until reduced. For extra richness, you could add bacon crumbles or a dollop of butter.
- Squeeze a half of a small lime, and fold in the cilantro .
- Taste and adjust salt and lime. Turn heat off.
- Divide among bowls and place the fish or tofu over top, garnishing with fresh lime and cilantro
If using tofu, cut into 1-inch slabs, and pat try. Season with extra salt, then dredge.
Fava beans can be prepped ahead. Succotash can be cooked ahead and reheated.
- Serving Size: ½ of the recipe
- Calories: 583
- Sugar: 23.2 g
- Sodium: 1927.6 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 68.6 g
- Fiber: 13.2 g
- Protein: 45.1 g
- Cholesterol: 84.5 mg
Keywords: Cornmeal crusted Halibut, summer succotash with fava beans, halibut recipe, best halibut recipe, pan fried halibut