Here’s a simple authentic recipe for Chinese Five Spice powder that can be made in 5 minutes flat. Fragrant and flavorful.
- 6 whole star anise pods
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves (or 1 1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches long ) or two tablespoons ground
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns ( or sub 3 teaspoons regular peppercorns)
Toast any dry whole spices in a dry skillet, until fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
Place all ingredients in a spice grinder (or coffee grinder) and grind until smooth.
Smell the goodness.
Store in a sealed, airtight spice jar -and for best flavor use within 6 months.
Makes ¼ cup.
Lightly toasting the whole seeds/pods in a dry skillet will create a more fragrant, intense flavor.
In a pinch you could sub 1 tablespoon anise seeds, but it won’t be quite the same flavor.
- Serving Size: 2 teaspoons
- Calories: 14
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 2.4 mg
- Fat: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 0.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: five spice, five spice recipe, five spice ingredients, how to make five spice, chinese five spice recipe,