A delicious brothy chicken wonton soup without the wonton wrappers, keeping this gluten free and low carb.
- 1 pound ground chicken ( or use ground turkey, beef or pork or a mix)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh lemongrass- finely chopped
- 1 shallot- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2–3 garlic cloves – finely minced
- 3 scallions, very thinly sliced ( separate white from green parts)
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno- very finely chopped ( optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock- organic if possible.
- 3–4 scallions, sliced, separating white parts from green ( or sub leeks)
- pinch white pepper
- salt to taste
- 2–3 cups fresh greens or bok choy ( baby spinach, arugula, asian greens)
- Drizzle toasted sesame oil
- Garnish- fresh herbs (cilantro, basil, scallions, chives, Italian parsley) toasted sesame oil, fresh chili slices
MEAT BALLS- Makes 24 very small balls (Meatballs serve 4, Soup broth serves 2)
- Place ground chicken and the rest of the meatball ingredients – salt, lemongrass, shallot, ginger, garlic, scallion and jalapeño- into a medium bowl, and using wet hands, mix until combined well. Again, using wet hands, form into small cherry- walnut sized balls ( .75 ounces) understanding they will swell in the broth ( almost twice the size) and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. See notes.
- Heat the broth or stock in a big pot and add the white parts of the scallions ( or leeks). Bring to a gentle boil. Add pinch of white pepper and salt to taste. Add 10-12 raw meatballs ( serves 2) to the broth, gently simmering ( freezing the remaining for another use).
- Gently simmer the meatballs until cooked through about 5 minutes ( they will take longer if frozen). Remember the smaller the meatballs, the faster they will cook. They will float when done, but best to always test one first.
- During the last minute of cooking add the greens to the pot, so they wilt and become tender– but not too long that they loose their vibrant color. Toss in the fresh herbs and remaining scallions and serve immediately.
- Divide among two bowls, top with a few slices of fresh chilies for heat, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil for added depth and flavor.
NOTES- Meatballs make 4 servings, soup broth makes 2 servings. Freeze extra raw meatballs on a sheet pan, then place in zip lock bags. You can also use this same filling to make regular wontons using wonton wrappers and these can be frozen too.