A simple, classic Italian dish brimming with flavor- Chicken Piccata is easy enough for weeknight dinners or elegant enough for entertaining.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (or pre sliced cutlets)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup all- purpose flour ( or sub GF flour blend)
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil (lite olive oil, not extra virgin)
- 4 tablespoons, 2 oz, butter, plus more for cooking chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large shallot, 1/2 cup, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- lemon wedges
- Slice chicken breasts in half length-wise ( if extra large). Lightly pound to an even thickness, about a 1/2 inch. Generously season both sides of the cutlets with salt.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl, lightly dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Cook the cutlets in two or three batches. Add olive oil and a teaspoon or two of butter to a skillet. Sear the cutlets over med-high heat for about 3 minutes, turn them over for another 30 seconds to a minute. The chicken will get heated and finish cooking in the sauce, so we are just going for a light sear. Add more oil and butter if needed for each batch. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, without cleaning it, sauté the shallots and capers for 3 minutes. Add garlic, sautéing another minute. Add wine and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and black pepper, heat to a simmer and whisk in butter until emulsified. Add chicken and heat 2-3 minutes until chicken is warm and cooked through.
- Add lemon juice, parsley and adjust salt and pepper.
For a special touch you can sear lemon slices by placing then on a hot skillet for about 30 seconds each side or until they get lightly charred on the edges. Add a slice or two to each serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cutlet
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 0.3 g
- Sodium: 253.8 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 26.9 g
- Cholesterol: 98 mg
Keywords: chicken piccata, best chicken piccata recipe, chicken piccata recipe, classic chicken piccata