Lemony Chicken Quinoa Salad with Arugula, avocado and Creamy Basil Dressing- an easy high protein salad that is full of amazing flavor! Sub Chickpeas for the Chicken, VEGAN ADAPTABLE!
- 8 ounces baked Chicken breast ( or one can chickpeas, drained)
- 2 extra large handfuls baby arugula
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1–2 scallions, sliced
- optional additions: scallions, oranges, sunflower sprouts, hemp seeds, any nut or seed
Creamy Basil Dressing:
- 1/2 cup basil (packed down tight, about 1 ounce)
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- zest from one medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/8– 1/4 cup mayo or sour cream (optional) or sub plain yogurt, vegan mayo, vegan sour cream or cashew cream.
- Make the Basil Dressing: Place basil, garlic and lemon zest and a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Pour in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse to combine (don’t make it too smooth). Place in a bowl or jar and whisk in some sour cream if you want it creamy ( adjusting salt as needed). This will keep 4 days in the fridge.
- Assemble salad. (You can keep all components separate if packing to take to work)
- Toss arugula with quinoa and scallions and some dressing to lightly coat. Divide among two bowls. Add chicken and avocado and any nuts or seeds that you like. Spoon a little more dressing over the chicken and season the avocado with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 515
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 1069.2 mg
- Fat: 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.3 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 18.6 g
- Cholesterol: 25.2 mg
Keywords: Chicken salad with arugula, chicken arugula quinoa salad, chicken quinoa salad, lemon chicken salad with arugula, quinoa chicken salad