Brothy Tortellini soup with Spinach, Basil & White beans- a mouthwatering vegetarian soup that can be made in 25 minutes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced ( 2 ribs)
- 8 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs (or thyme or rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8–10 ounces fresh tortellini (spinach or cheese)
- 1 can white beans (Cannellini beans are nice) drained, rinsed
- 8 ounces chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- squeeze of lemon
Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute 3-4 minutes stirring. Add the celery and garlic, lower heat to medium, and saute 5-6 minutes until celery is tender. Add the broth and turn heat to high, bringing to a boil. Add salt and Italian seasoning.
Once boiling add the fresh tortellini and simmer until cooked, 4-5 minutes (look at package directions for timing). Add the white beans and simmer just a few minutes until they are heated through. Turn heat off. Add the chopped fresh spinach and the basil. Give a stir. Add a little squeeze of lemon ( 1-2 teaspoons).
Taste, adjusting salt and pepper. You want the broth slightly salty- the tortellini and beans will soak up much of it as it sits.
Feel free to use other canned or cooked beans.
Feel free to use other pasta (penne, etc., instead of tortellini) or a gluten-free pasta.
For an extra rich broth, add a parmesan rind to the broth.
Feel free to add leftover chicken if you like.
Keywords: tortellini soup, spinach tortellini soup, vegetarian tortellini soup, brothy soup recipe, brothy tortellini soup