These healthy Breakfast Cookies can be made in under 30 minutes! They are chockfull of flavor and sustenance -filled with oats, seeds, spices and dried fruit they are vegan and deliciously addicting! Perfect for breakfast on the go.
- 1 1/2 cups (162 grams) rolled oats (not thick cut)
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) whole wheat pastry flour (or sub a GF flour blend)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (50 grams) (regular works fine too)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each of: allspice, ginger, cloves, nutmeg
- 1/4 cup each of: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, currants, dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup roasted tahini paste
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (from one large orange)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, currants, and cranberries in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix together vanilla, tahini, orange zest and juice, and olive oil. When mixed thoroughly add to dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. It will be crumbly.
- Form: Using a scoop or forming by hand (make sure to wet or oil your hands!) press cookie dough firmly into a scoop or firmly press together into a ball and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You should have 9-10 cookies. Press cookie to flatten so it is a little less than 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake: Turn the oven temperature down to 350F. Bake for 13 minutes. Or until just starting to color.
Stored in an airtight container cookies will keep for 5 days and also freeze well.
Getting the cookies to stick together:
Using a cookie scoop makes a world of difference because you can really pack them in.
Make sure the oats are not thick cut.
If the flour is grainy it can effect the adhering of the dough. Using a softer flour (not a strong whole wheat) is helpful. Fresh whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose works, as well as oat or barley flour.
Try adding a flax “egg” (1 tablespoon flax meal to 2.5 tablespoons water)
Put 1/2 of the dough into the food processor and pulse a few times. An extra step but maybe a helpful without having to add anything in.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
Keywords: breakfast cookie, vegan breakfast cookie, best vegan breakfast cookie, mizuna cookie, breakfast cookie recipe, breakfast cookie recipe vegan