A simple delicious recipe for Borscht, a healthy, vegan-adaptable beet and cabbage soup that can be made in an Instant Pot or on the stove top. Warming and nourishing, Borscht is full of flavor and nutrients!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 large garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or diced small
- 1 extra large beet, thinly sliced, or small dice (approx. 2 cups)
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 cup beet stems and greens, chopped (optional or add another cup cabbage)
- 4 cups veggie broth (or chicken stock or traditional beef stock)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
Garnish: dollop of sour cream, Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt
Set Instapot to “saute” function.
Add the olive oil (or butter) and diced onions and sauté 4-5 minutes stirring often making sure onions do not stick. Add the rest of the veggies; garlic, celery, carrots, beets, cabbage, beet stems and greens and stir to coat with onions and oil.
Add the broth and tomato paste, spices, salt and pepper. Give and stir and press “cancel” button.
Place the lid on pot and lock, making sure steam release is pointed to Sealing. Press High Pressure and set to 10 minutes. When time is up, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes then place kitchen towel over the pressure release button and turn to manually release. Once the float valve drops, open the lid.
Stir in the apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt ( or vegan yogurt) and ample amounts of fresh dill.
This can also be made on the stove top, in a similar fashion. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the onions, stirring 4-5 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add garlic, saute 2 minutes, then add celery, carrots, beets, cabbage, beet greens, stirring to coat. Add broth and tomato paste. Add spices, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer on low heat 20 minutes or until beets and carrots are tender.
Continue with recipe above, adding vinegar, adjusting salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups -without sour cream
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 7.6 g
- Sodium: 491.4 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7 g
- Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan Borscht, vegetarian Borscht, instant pot Borscht, easy borscht recipe, beet borscht, beet soup, beet cabbage soup,