How to make the most delicious Bison Burger- a healthy alternative to beef because they are lower in fat and calories, and full of minerals and micronutrients. A lighter, leaner burger, that tastes amazing!
- 1 pound Ground Bison
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1–2 fat clove garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground or dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme- or sub dried Italian herbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , optional, but adds moisture.
Optional Smoky Aioli:
Serve as a Burger in a Bowl- see this Healthy Burger Bowls post for ideas.
- Preheat grill to Medium-High heat.
- Place the ground bison in a bowl and pull it apart with a fork.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, add the onion, garlic, mustard, thyme and olive oil, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- With damp hands, form into 3 or 4 patties, 3/4 inch thick, that are slightly thinner in the middle. (At this point you could wrap in parchment and refrigerate for later.)
- Grease the grill grate well. Place the patties on the hot grill, along with onions ( if grilling). Cover and give them a good sear, 3-4 minutes on each side, rotating halfway though, to give them crosshatch grill marks. Use a thin metal spatula to flip over.
- Cook to desired temperate. Burgers are cooked to medium-rare when they reach an internal temp of 140F-145F, cooked to medium at 150F, and cooked to well done at 155F-160F. Let rest 10 minutes, covered in foil.
- To make the Smoky Aioli, simply stir the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Assemble your burgers as desired, grilling the buns if you like.
- Serving Size: 1 patty
Keywords: bison burgers, how to make bison burgers, bison burger, bison burger recipe, grilled bison burger, buffalo burger, buffalo burger recipe,