Vegan, Amaranth Lentil Cakes with vegan Chipotle “aioli”- a flavorful hearty cake that is full of flavor and nutrients.
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 cup amaranth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion,finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (this is the binding agent, so don’t leave out)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- oil for frying
- Add split red lentils and amaranth to a pot. Cover with water and boil for 15 minutes, until tender. Place in a fine mesh strainer and let drain extra well, pressing liquid out. While draining…
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil over medium high heat for two minutes. Turn heat down to medium. Add garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes. Add finely chopped kale, spices and salt.
- Add onion-kale mixture to lentil amaranth mixture in big bowl. Stir to combine well. Add ground flax seeds and fold in fresh cilantro. Let cool.
- Make Aioli. Place all Aioli ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth, scraping down sides. Place in bowl and set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, form 2-3 inch patties and lightly coated in flour and dry amaranth seeds. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 -2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Sear patties a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and place in a warm oven until heated all the way through.
- Serve with the chipotle aioli and fresh sprigs of cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 patty with sauce
- Calories: 425
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 618.3 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.3 g
- Fiber: 9.6 g
- Protein: 20.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: amaranth cake, vegan lentil cake, lentil amaranth cake