- 3–6 varieties of cheeses 3-6 ounces each (pick a diverse range – from soft to hard, from mild flavored to “stinky” and at least one blue-veined cheese. Add at least one goat or sheeps cheese. )
- 1/3 cup honey
- ⅓ cup seasonal jam or blood orange marmalade ( recipe below)
- 1 cup toasted, spiced or candied nuts- walnuts, maple pecans, almonds, marcona almonds
- 1 cup olives or olive tapenade
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- 3–4 varieties of fruit – apples, persimmons, pears, figs, Japanese Pears, pomegranate, etc.
- 1 cup dried fruit – figs, cherries, apricots, etc.
- 1 small baguette, sliced or sub gourmet crackers. Or both.
Blood Orange Marmalade: ( takes 1 1/2 hour)
- Make Blood Orange Marmalade: Wash blood oranges and lemon well. Thinly slice oranges (as thin as possible, or use a mandolin), removing seeds as you go. Stack and slice them into quarters and place them in a medium pot.Zest and juice the lemon and add to the pot. Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes.Turn heat down to medium and simmer 40 minutes, or until rinds are tender. Add sugar, stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium so it is gently boiling. Continue cooking until it reaches 220 F (check with a candy thermometer) about 15 minutes, careful not to walk away when it gets close…it’s easy to burn. At this point you could can or just cool and refrigerate. Makes 2- 2-1/2 cups
- Assemble Winter Cheese Board: Place 3-5 different cheeses in different areas on a large cutting board or platter. Either pre-slice or make sure to have a cheese knife for each cheese. Slice fruits and place around the board paying attending to color. Add small bowls of nuts, honey, orange marmalade, mustard, olives… all in separate areas on the board with small serving utensils.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs or citrus leaves.
- Slice the baguette and either serve it on the side or tuck into space on the platter or board. Or use crackers!
- This can sit out at room temp 1-2 hours before your event – easist to make this ahead!
- Calories: 150
Keywords: cheese board, how to make a cheese board, marmalade, blood orange marmalade, blood orange recipes, recipes with blood oranges, blood orange marmalade recipes, marmalade recipes,