This delicious Wild Rice Salad is the perfect combination of textures and flavors. Made with chickpeas (or chicken breast), cherry tomatoes, red onion, parsley, mint, in a simple lemony dressing. Vegan!
- 2 cups wild rice (dry, do not use a blend)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 14-ounce can chickpeas (drained) or sub chicken breast, see notes
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 large bunch Italian parsley, chopped, thin stems ok (at least 1 cup packed)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil, more to taste
- 2 lemons, zest and 1/4 cup juice, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- optional additions: 1 tablespoon capers, 1 garlic clove,
- Cook the wild rice: Bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in a large saucepan. Add the wild rice and olive oil. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to low and simmer gently. Check at 30-35 minutes. Add more time if needed ( 5-10 mins). *Wild rice can vary in thickness, so cooking time will vary. Cook until the unburst rice is just tender, but still slightly chewy. Be careful not to overcook it or to have all the the rice grains burst- so be vigilant here- cook until intact rice grains are al dente. Turn the heat off. Drain over a fine mesh strainer and let cool.
- Make the salad. Halve the tomatoes and place them in a large bowl. Add the drained chickpeas. Chop the red onion finely, and add them to the bowl. Chop the Italian parsley and mint, and add to the bowl. Once the rice is close to room temperature, add it to the bowl.
- Dress: Add the olive oil, lemon zest ( from 1 or 2 lemons -start with 1) and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Give a good toss.
- Taste. Add more lemon juice, olive oil and salt to taste. (If making this ahead, re-taste right before serving as the rice can soak up the salt. )
Chicken: Instead of chickpeas, feel free to add 2 cups cooked, seasoned chicken breast,cut into bite-sized pieces.
Leftovers will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
Make it ahead: The salad can be made in completion 1 day ahead. Wild Rice can be cooked up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated until ready to make the salad (or freeze it).
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 310.4 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: wild rice salad, easy wild rice salad, vegan wild rice salad, healthy wild rice salad,