Sagey Leek and White Bean Patties are brimming with all the savory holiday flavors! Perfect for making ahead time. Serve them up with mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and mushroom gravy for a satisfying vegan feast! Gluten-free adaptable.
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup reserved bean juice (vegetable broth or water is fine too)
- 2 cups mushrooms (maitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, shiitake, chanterelle, or cremini) 6 oz, torn into small pieces
- 2 ribs celery, 1 cup, diced
- 2 leeks, 2 cups chopped small
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste!)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs ( or GF bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 15 oz white beans, drained (save the bean water!)
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Boullion “No-Chicken” Paste (or vegetable boullion soaked in warmed bean juice before adding to chia seeds)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Soak chia seeds with bean water, or vegetable stock or water.
- In a pot, on medium high heat sear mushrooms in olive oil for 6-8 minutes stirring often. When they start to brown add celery, leeks and garlic, sage, rosemary. Saute another 8 minutes or so until leeks soften. Add salt and white pepper, set aside in a large bowl.
- Process bread crumbs to somewhere between a coarse and fine meal. Add sunflower seeds and process just enough to break seeds down a bit. Remove from processor adding to the leek mushroom mixture.
- Process beans until chunky smooth add to the bowl.
- Into the soaked chia seeds, mix Better than Boullion Paste and vinegar until totally incorporated. Mix into the bowl with all other ingredients.
- With a scoop or your hands form patties and place on a baking sheet with parchment or a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- At this point you can refrigerate up to 3 days before serving.
- To serve: Fry patties over medium high heat with 2-3 tablespoons of avocado oil, 3-5 minutes each side until a golden crust forms. Add more oil as needed.
Keywords: white bean patties, vegan patties, vegan white bean cakes, vegan thanksgiving recipe, white bean cakes