A healthy GF summer salad with Vietnamese flavors!
- 4–5 ounces rice noodles
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon sugar (or coconut sugar, agave or honey)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce (optional) or red chili flakes
- 4–5 cups your choice of julienned or match stick cut vegetables: carrots, bell peppers, daikon radish, turnips, cucumber, zucchini ribbons, radish, green papaya
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped cilantro,
- 1 cup chopped basil or mint, or a mix.
- Optional: 4–8 ounces cooked, chilled shrimp, shredded chicken breast or crispy tofu.
- Optional: crushed toasted peanuts
- Prep your veggies, cutting into ribbons or matchsticks.
- In a small saucepan, add garlic, shallot, fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, oil, sugar, and Sriracha and give a stir, bring to a simmer. Place the vegetables in a large bowl, and pour the pickling liquid over the top, toss to coat well. Chill 15 minutes in the fridge, and toss again.
- Cook rice noodles according to the directions on the package, rinse with cold running water. Alternately, pour boiling water over noodles in a bowl. Let noodles soak until tender but not mushy, anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on the size, then drain and rinse under very cold water until throughly chilled.
- Add noodles and half of the herbs to the pickled vegetable bowl; toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with remaining herbs, just before serving, This salad is best served very cold, so I’ll often make it one hour ahead or the day before.
- If adding shrimp, shredded chicken or crispy tofu, toss in at the same time as the noodles.
- Salad will keep 3 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 cup without protein
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 591.4 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 2.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vietnamese Noodle Salad, Rice noodle salad,