Vegan, gluten-free stuffed Poblano Peppers filled with corn, black beans, roasted sweet potatoes and cilantro served over vegan Avocado Crema.
- 6 whole poblano peppers
- 1 sweet potato- 2 Cups, small dice
- 1 corn on the cob, shucked, kernels cut ( or use 1 cup frozen corn, trader Joe’s roasted corn is tasty)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 C finely diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 14 ounce can of black beans ( rinsed and drained)
- 1 T Cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅓ Cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ C -½ C crumbled queso fresco cheese, mozzarella, jack, goat cheese or feta (optional)
Avocado Crema (Vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Dice the sweet potatoes, into 1/2 inch cubes. The smaller the dice, the shorter the roasting time. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, along with the 6 poblano peppers and roast until golden and tender, about 20 minutes, turning peppers over, midway.
- While this is baking Make the Avocado Crema, placing all the ingredients in the blender, and blend until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed to get the blade going. Set aside.
- Shuck the corn and cut the kernels off the cob. Set aside. Dice the onion.
- Remove peppers and sweet potatoes from the oven. when tender. Enclose the poblano peppers in foil for a 5-10 minutes so they steam, to make removing the skins easier. Hold the peppers under cool, slow running water and gently remove skins trying to keep the peppers intact. It’s OK, if all the skins don’t release, just peel off what wants to come off natually. Carefully, with a sharp knife, slice the top off of the peppers ( where stuffing will go) and rinse the seeds out with running water. Keep the stems and set aside.
- In a skillet heat olive oil over med-high heat, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Turn heat to down medium, add garlic and continue stirring until fragrant and golden, about 3-4 more minutes. Add corn. Saute a couple of minutes, then fold in the black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, spices, salt and pepper, sautéing until warmed through. Fold in cilantro. Taste and adjust salt to your liking. Turne heat off. Stir in cheese if using.
- Stuff the peppers: Spoon in the filling into the peppers then place stuffed peppers on a greased or parchement sheet pan or in a baking dish in 375 F oven for 10-15 minutes — or longer to melt the cheese in the filling.
- Serve the stuffed peppers over a generous bed of Avocado Crema sauce. Top with cilantro sprigs, crumbled queso fresco ( optional). Enjoy!
5 to 6 inch long Poblanos work best here.
Keywords: stuffed poblanos, avocado crema, vegan stuffed peppers, vegan stuffed poblano peppers