Simple, delicious Tuscan Farmers Breakfast with a flavorful cannellini bean stew topped with eggs and an herby gremolata sauce. Healthy and tasty!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ an onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, sage or thyme ( or sub 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning)
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (fire roasted are nice) or sub 2 medium tomatoes, diced with their juices
- 1 14.5 ounce can cannellini beans 0r white beans ( or 1 ½–2 cups cooked), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup stock or broth ( or water plus 1 boillion cube) either chicken or veggie
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes, more to taste
- 4–6 eggs ( for vegans serve with pan-seared tofu)
- serve with crusty bread or warm tortillas and Gremolata
In a 10-11 inch skillet, heat the oil and saute the onions for 3 minutes over medium high heat. Turn heat to medium and add the garlic. Saute until fragrant and golden, stirring often about 3 more minutes, turning heat lower if necessary. Once the onion is tender, add the herbs and cook one more minute.
Add diced tomatoes, beans and stock. Add salt and chili flakes and bring to a simmer on medium low about 5-7 minutes. Make little wells in the beans and crack the eggs into them. Season each egg with salt and pepper, cover and simmer gently until whites are set but yolks are still soft.
Sprinkle with fresh Italian parsley and spoon flavorful Gremolata over top for a burst of flavor!
For a Spanish take on this same dish add: ¼ cup cured Spanish chorizo ( thinly sliced) and ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Or feel free to add Italian sausage, browning it with the onions. You could also brown it separately and serve it on the side.
To keep this vegan, serve with pan seared tofu instead of eggs.
For individual servings, serve in mini cast iron skillets or little baking dishes- and this way you can adapt them for mixed households ( some with meat, some without).
For the photos I poached the eggs separately (made for a better photo) which you could also do too.