A hearty Minestrone Soup using leftover Thanksgiving Turkey with baby pasta shells, cannellini beans and kale.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion,diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced,cut into half-moons
- 2 celery stocks, thinly sliced
- 6 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme- or sub dried oregano and/or dried basil
- 6 cups flavorful turkey Stock ( see below)or use chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes ( 1 1/2 cups) and their juices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup pasta like little shells ( or use GF pasta)
- 1 can cannellini beans ( rinsed and drained) or use white beans, pinto or cooked heirloom beans
- 1 –2 cups turkey meat
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or GF Braggs Liquid Amino
- pinch cayenne
- Handful Tuscan or Lacinato Kale
- Garnish- fresh parsley, basil ribbons, lemon zest, drizzle olive oil and/ or grated parmesan or romano
- Turkey Stock
- 5 lbs Turkey bones ( legs, ribs, carcass, neck)
- 1 onion
- 6 smashed garlic
- 1–2 carrots, rough chopped
- 1 –2 celery stalks, rough chopped
- 10–15 peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- fresh herb sprigs ( thyme, rosemary sage) optional
To make the stock:
- Place turkey bones- legs, ribs and carcass in a large pot.
- Add a sliced onion, 6 smashed garlic cloves, celery, carrot, peppercorns, bay leaves and a few sprigs fresh herbs. If you have other veggie scraps, feel free to add.
- Add enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer very gently, for about 2 hours, skimming the surface every 30-40 minutes. Cook until stock is flavorful. Strain.
- To remove more fat, chill and fat will rise to the top and harden for easy removal.
To make Minestrone:
- In a large pot, heat oil over med- high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring often, cooking until onion begins to brown, turning heat to medium if necessary.
- Add thyme, 6 cups turkey stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add 1 cup pasta ( don’t be tempted to add more), beans and turkey meat.
- Cook 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked. Add kale and stir to wilt.
- Taste for salt, add soy sauce for depth, and pinch cayenne for a little heat.
- Divide among bowls, sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil ribbons, a drizzle of olive oil, lemon zest or grated parmesan.
Soup will keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 1364.6 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 25.3 g
- Cholesterol: 51.6 mg
Keywords: Turkey leftovers recipes, turkey soup, turkey soup recipes, turkey minestrone soup, leftover turkey recipes, leftover turkey soup