A simple recipe for Tomato Zucchini Gratin with breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic and fresh basil. A quick and easy vegetarian side dish!
- 3 slices (3 oz) bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 oz (3/4 cup) Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 2 lbs tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick (4-5 medium tomatoes)
- 1 lb zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( 2 medium zucchini)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Hand tear bread to form coarse crumbs (or quickly pulse in food processor). Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes, until dried out.
- Toss toasted bread, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and parmesan together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Alternate tomato and zucchini slices in a shallow baking pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and shallot. Pour over tomatoes and squash.
- Top evenly with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until bread crumbs are toasty.
- Tear basil leaves on top and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 390.1 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.9 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Keywords: tomato gratin, zucchini gratin, gratin recipe, tomato zucchini gratin, how to make a gratin