This classic Three Bean Salad recipe is full of tangy flavor, fiber and lots of plant protein! An easy make-ahead side dish for picnics, potlucks, and BBQs. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (add more to taste- see notes)
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard (or dijon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, drain and rinse
- 15 ounces kidney beans, drain and rinse
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drain and rinse
- 1 1/2 cup green or yellow fresh beans, blanched and cut into 1 inch pieces (see notes on blanching)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (or add 1 extra teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, whole grain mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne. (Taste the dressing, add more olive oil or maple syrup if too tangy).
- To the bowl add the drained beans, blanched green beans, red onion, celery, oregano, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Store in the fridge, stirring a few times the first couple hours to distribute the dressing, ensuring all the beans get marinated. Adjust with salt, pepper or maple syrup.
To blanch green beans: place whole string beans in boiling water, simmer for 3 minutes, strain and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water.
Toss in more veggies if you like! Fresh bell peppers, corn, and cucumbers (added just when serving).
Salad will keep up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 637.8 mg
- Fat: 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.5 g
- Fiber: 11.6 g
- Protein: 13.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: 3 bean salad, three bean salad, three bean salad recipe, 3 beans salad