A simple delicious recipe for Strawberry Turnovers (aka “Hand Pies”) with the most flakey buttery crust, sweetened with maple syrup!
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or sugar
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot ( or corn starch)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- generous 3 finger pinch salt
- 14– 16 ounces Prepared pie crust
- You can either premake this, or use store bought.
- I often use this recipe
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream
- sugar for dusting
- Wash and cut strawberries into slices, enough to make about 2 cups.
- Place in a medium pot or sauce pan, and mix in 2 tablespoon maple syrup, arrowroot, salt and lemon juice. Simmer on med-low heat, about 10 minutes. (If mixture seems too dry, add a little water.) Taste, add more maple to taste. Let cool completely in the fridge. You can do this the night before and chill in the fridge until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Divide dough into 10 generous golfball sized balls and place on a floured work surface, and roll into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. ( See notes for store bought dough)
- Spoon 3 tablespoons filling in the center. Fold dough over filling, leaving about 1 inch of dough on the bottom side visible below the top side. Gently press dough closed around filling, using your fingertips.
- Fold the overhanging bottom part of the dough up over the top edge, working your way around the crust, and pinch the overhang tightly to the top part of the crust.
- Crimp the edge tightly closed, pinching a little bit of dough with the thumb and forefinger of one hand and using your index finger on the other hand to push a small notch into the pinched dough. Continue pinching and notching all the way around until the crust is tightly crimped together. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Transfer pies onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush with egg/milk mixture.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- With a sharp knife, slice three slits not the top for venting.
- Place in 400F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- NOTES: If using store bought dough, unroll the dough on a floured surface, roll out with rolling pin from the center out, just a few times. Using a 6 inch rimmed bowl as template, press out 3 x 6 inch rounds from each roll of dough. Combine the scraps into a ball, then divide into 3 balls and roll out into 3 more 6 inch disks ( for a total of 9 hand pies)
- If using very ripe local strawberries, you may need less maple syrup, and if using store bought not quite ripe strawberries, you may need a little more. Make sure to taste the filling. 😉
- Calories: 298
Keywords: turnovers, strawberry pie, strawberry desserts, strawberry turnovers, how to make a turn over