A simple tasty recipe highlighting spring potatoes. Coriander and Fennel Crusted Ahi with new potatoes, dill sauce and yogurt. Substitute simple roasted salmon or halibut for the Ahi.
- 8 ounces baby potatoes ( red, white, purple, yellow or a mix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 ounces baby spinach ( two big handfuls)
- 1 ounce dill ( tender stems ok)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds– lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds– whole
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ahi
- 2 tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil
Garnish with diluted plain Greek yogurt ( or sour cream) – see notes, fresh dill and chive blossoms
- Place potatoes in a small pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, turn heat down and simmer until fork tender, about 15-25 minutes depending on size.
- Make the Dill Sauce. Place water, olive oil and spinach in a blender and blend. Add dill, scallion, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Taste, adjust salt, add more if you like and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Place in a small pot, set aside.
- Place seeds, salt and pepper on a small plate and mix well. Coat all sides of ahi with the seed/salt mixture, pressing seeds in firmly.
- Cook the Ahi. Heat oil over medium high heat in a cast iron skillet until hot and just smoking. Place ahi gently in the skillet and cover partially if seeds begin to spatter.Sear on very hot heat, for just 1-2 minutes, until it develops a nice golden brown crust, then turn over, and cook the other side, just 1 minute or so. You want the inside to stay rare.
- Heat the small pot of green dill sauce over low heat, gently warming, careful not to overheat, or it may loose its vibrant color.
- Assemble the plates. Place a circle of green dill sauce in the middle of the place. Slice potatoes and place them over the green sauce. Slice the Ahi with a very sharp knife and place atop the potato slices. Garnish the plate with the diluted yogurt or sour cream, sprigs of fresh dilll and chive blossoms.
- Notes: to make diluted yogurt- place equal parts plain yogurt ( or sour cream) and water in a small bowl and stir with a fork until smooth. 2-3 tablespoons of each.