This easy Soba Noodles Recipe is healthy and simple. Loaded with tender vegetables, clean addicting flavor and succulent texture. Keep it vegan or add your favorite protein.
- 8–9 oz. soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon high heat oil (such as peanut oil, coconut oil or avocado oil)
- 2 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 5–6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 large carrot cut in thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch knob of ginger, minced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped fine- separating the white from the green stems
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- black sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Soba Noodle Sauce:
- Bring water to a boil and cook the soba noodles according to the package, (just slightly on the al dente side). Drain in cool water to remove starchiness. (This helps the texture and prevents the soba noodles from getting gummy and gluey).*See notes for more cooking tips.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients: sesame oil, rice vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok or skillet. Add napa cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, carrot strips, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger for 1-2 minutes. Add bell pepper and white part of the green onion stir-frying for 2-3 minutes until just tender but still crisp.
- Add the soba noodles and sauce. Toss together 1-2 minutes letting it thoroughly heat through.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions. Add black sesame seeds for garnish if desired.
TIPS for cooking: Since the buckwheat does not contain gluten it can break more easily. Don’t stir while cooking and test for doneness before cooking time finishes. Cook in plenty of water. Don’t salt the cooking water. Do not overcook. Rinse immediately and thoroughly in cold water.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Serve as a main dish or as a side dish with your favorite protein.
Optional additions: hard-boiled or fried egg, crispy tofu, chicken breast, shrimp, steak strips.
Leftovers are best eaten in a day or two after making.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 692.3 mg
- Fat: 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.5 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: soba noodles recipe, easy soba noodles, vegan soba noodles, easy soba noodles recipe,