- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, optional
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds , optional
- 1/4–1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, or sub pecans or walnuts
- 2–3 apples- cut into 1/2 inch thick wedges ( honey crisp, gala, pink lady)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons real maple syrup, plus more for after
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- Serve with maple and butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F and Boil 3 ½ cups of water
- Toast steel cut oats in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat stirring constantly. After 3 minutes add spices, and continue toasting for 2 minutes. Turn heat off.
- If baking in a casserole dish, transfer now, or bake it in the skillet. Add sesame, flax and pumpkin seeds and salt and give a good stir.
- Add apples and pour the boiling water over top. Add the maple syrup, and give another stir and place in the hot oven, uncovered.
- Bake for 40 minutes. At this point, brush the apples with a little more maple syrup ( or use butter) and broil for just a minute to deepen the caramelization until it’s perfectly golden.
- For heartier appetites, serve with butter and maple syrup….or keep it lean.
Use a 10-inch skillet, or an 8x 10-inch baking dish.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
- Calories: 292
- Sugar: 18.7 g
- Sodium: 167.8 mg
- Fat: 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.4 g
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 8.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Baked oats, baked steal-cut oats, baked oats with apples, baked oats vegan