Baked Sheet-Pan Ratatouille is easy, healthy and vegan! Bake a big batch on Sunday then serve it during the busy workweek over pasta, polenta or even toast!
- 3 Japanese eggplant or one large eggplant
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 zucchini or summer squash
- 1 onion
- 8–14 garlic cloves, whole, peeled
- 2–3 tablespoon fresh herbs – thyme or rosemary or combination of both
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash balsamic vinegar
Serve with pasta, soft polenta, whole grains, or feel free to add beans, sausage, chicken.
Easy Creamy Polenta
- Preheat oven to 400 F and place a piece of parchment on 1-2 large sheet pans ( I use two).
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel eggplant if you want – or just remove some of the skin in long strips. Or if you prefer, leave the skin on. Cut into ½ inch thick bite-sized pieces. Slice the bell pepper into ½ inch wide strips. Cut the tomatoes into 3/4 inch wedges. Slice the zucchini the long way and then slice into ½ inch thick half-moons. Slice the onion into ¼-½ inch thick half-moons.
- Spread out the veggies on the sheet pan in a single layer (this is why you most likely need two sheet pans). Add whole garlic cloves (peeled) and herbs.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss, using enough oil to coat. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Roast in the hot oven for 20 minutes, mix the veggies, roast 20 more minutes, mix again. Turn heat down to 300 and roast 10-20 more minutes, or until tender and edges begin to caramelize.
- Taste, adjust salt, and drizzle with a little splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Use immediately or cool and refrigerate (or freeze) until ready to use.
Garlic: I really love garlic so I add a lot here, feel free to cut back if you like!
To serve over Creamy Polenta: Bring water or stock to a boil in a medium pot. Slowly add polenta while whisking vigorously. Cover and cook 15 minutes on low heat. Stir in butter and cheese. Salt and pepper generously. Heat the Ratatouille, adding more olive oil if you like.
Divide among bowls and place warm Ratatouille over top. Sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley.
To serve with pasta: cook pasta according to directions. Heat Ratatouille in a large skillet adding a little more olive oil and capers (optional). Stir in the cooked pasta, adjust salt. Sprinkle with grated pecorino (optional) and fresh herbs.
To serve over toast: Toast the bread, heat up the Ratatouille and poach an egg. Drizzle toast with a little olive oil, top with warm Ratatouille and poached egg. Season with salt and pepper and top with fresh herbs.
Keywords: ratatouille, ratatouille recipe, ratatouille recipes, easy ratatouille recipe, baked ratatouille recipe, best ratatouille recipe, sheet pan ratatouille recipe,