Light and crisp, these Rustic Seed Crackers are keto, gluten-free and vegan. This recipe is incredibly easy, flexible, adaptable and full of toasty rich flavor. They are the perfect snack by themselves, and pair with most toppings.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix. It will be quite soupy.
- Let sit 10 minutes, just until it starts to bind together, if it sits too long it can be a bit challenging to spread on the pan.
- After it has thickened, give the mixture a few more stirs and dump onto a non-stick baking mat (or oiled parchment paper) that has been placed on an 18 x 13-inch baking sheet.
- Spread out the cracker mixture with a rubber spatula getting it as evenly distributed on the pan as you can. Then take an offset metal spatula dipped in water and smooth the mixture, working it to the edges of the pan, keep dipping your spatula in water- this makes all the difference! Try to get the thickness even, it should fill the entire sheet pan and the crackers will be slightly less than ¼-inch thick. Once smooth and even, score the crackers with the spatula or a straight edge dough scraper. ( Alternatively, you could leave unscored, and break apart after baking.) It is important that you just gently press down to imprint through the cracker and then lifting up to the next spot rather than drag your edge through the dough.
- Put the sheet pan in the oven on a middle rack. Bake for 50 min- 1 hour (they will start to brown around the edges and smell toasty). Remove from oven. Break up the crackers when just cool enough to handle and turn the crackers over on the cookie sheet. Slide back into the oven with oven temp turned off. Leave crackers in the cooling oven for another 15-20 minutes or until crisp through. They will crisp more as they cool.
How to store: Store in an airtight container. Will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Teff flour gives the crackers a delicious earthy flavor and perfect firmness for the more moist toppings.
Adjust seeds to what you have on hand. Influence with savory or sweet components. Use coconut oil instead of olive, add 1/2 cup coconut flakes, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (optional!). Or try adding 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon tamari (adjust salt by 1/2), 1/4 cup dulse seaweed flakes, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Keywords: keto crackers, seed crackers, seeded crackers, seedy crackers, gluten free crackers, vegan crackers, keto crackers recipe