Tender sweet Hakurei turnips quickly pan-seared, then braised and tossed with a flavorful ginger miso glaze and topped with fresh shiso. A simple and addicting side dish.
- Scrape off any dirt or blemishes with a sharp knife. Give them a good rinse paying attention to the stem area (if keeping that intact dirt and rocks like to hide in the stems).
- Cut turnips in wedges by cutting each one in half and then each halve in quarters or thirds.
- Whisk together mirin, rice vinegar, grated ginger, miso and salt (start with a 1/4 teaspoon and add more if needed).
- Heat a skillet on high heat for about a minute. Add avocado oil and turnips. With tongs, push the turnips around until most of them are cut side down. Cook 2 minutes and flip them over or stir them. Turn heat down to medium heat. Leave cooking another 2 minutes.
- Add ginger miso mixture, stir for about a minute or two to cook the ginger and to fully coat the turnips.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the shiso.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 88
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 381.7 mg
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: salad turnip recipe, turnip recipe, braised turnips, seared turnips, how to cook turnips, Hakurei turnips