Homemade Rose Petal Jam- a simple delicious recipe made with wild rose petals. A lovely gift, and delicious spooned over ice cream, pavlova or yogurt, or with toast, scones, crepes, or cake. Yields 1 3/4 cups.
- 1 1/2 cups of filtered water
- 2 ounces wild rose petals (approx. 2 cups lightly packed or to what would be a perfectly comfy fairy bed) (preferably collected 50 feet from roads, in a pesticide-free area) or 2/3 cup dried rose petals
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pectin
- Place water and roses in a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add 1 ¾ c of sugar to the simmering petals. Stir to dissolve the sugar crystals.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice. Pay attention to the gorgeous vibrant color that emerges.
- Simmer 10 minutes over low heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ¼ cup sugar and pectin.
- While stirring the jam add the pectin/sugar mixture, sprinkle by sprinkle to ensure pectin incorporates without clumping.
- Simmer gently for 20 more minutes. It may seem quite loose for jam, but it will firm up as it sets. This does remain more of a silky syrup with luscious bits of petals.
- Place into Jam Jars- we like these weck jam jars.
- This keeps for 2 months in the fridge, also freezes beautifully and canning is always a brilliant option.
- You do not need to add calcium water to this recipe.
- You can use food-grade, dried rose petals, (readily available in natural food stores, in the bulk herb section) 1/3 cup dried rose petals = 1 cup fresh rose petals.
- You can use organic domesticated rose petals without any pesticides.
- For a thicker consistency, add less water, or increase the pectin.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 135
- Sugar: 14.3 g
- Sodium: 2.5 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: rose jam, rose jam recipe, rose petal jam, rose petal jam recipe, wild rose jam, wild rose jam recipe, wild rose recipes, wild rose petal jam, wild rose recipes, recipes with roses, rose jam, rose syrup,