Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
An easy recipe for Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce made with fresh summer tomatoes, garlic and herbs. Extend summer’s harvest into winter! Freeze or can!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-5 cups
- Category: Sauce, How To
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4- 6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 lbs ripe (med-large) tomatoes, cored and cut in half ( for small tomatoes, see notes)
- 1 tablespoons fresh oregano ( or 1 teaspoon dried, or use Italian seasoning)
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh basil, torn or chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt ( or salt to taste)
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar ( optional)
- Pre-heat ove to 400 F
- Drizzle a large, rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic and shallot.
- Place the sliced tomatoes cut-side down on the sheet pan and roast 30 minutes. Add the oregano and basil and roast 10 more minutes, or until skins have lifted off the tomatoes.
- Let cool, pull off the skins, then pour all the tomatoes and their roasting juices into a bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Season with salt and pepper. Sometimes, to bring the flavor around I’ll add a little sugar. This depends on your palate and the tomatoes you are using ( some are sweeter than others). Start with ½ a teaspoon. Taste, adjust.
- To use right away, reheat in a pan or pot. Or refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze. If freezing in a mason jar, make sure to leave room at the top of the jar – it will expand as it freezes.
If roasting small tomatoes, feel free roast whole and blend the sauce with the skins on. They may not need as long in the oven, check after 20 minutes.
If canning the tomato sauce, follow these instructions:
- Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in gently simmering water until ready to use, do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set aside with bands.
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the hot jar, ladle hot tomato sauce into a hot jar leaving a ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe the jar rim clean and seal lid to fingertip tight.
- Place jar in boiling water canner and process for 40 minutes. Turn off heat, let jars sit 5 minutes in the water. Remove jars and cool 12-24 hours. Check lids for seal, they should not flex when center is pressed.
Keywords: roasted tomato sauce, roasted tomato sauce recipe, easy tomato sauce, easy tomato sauce recipes, tomato sauce recipes, roasting tomatoes, roasted tomatoes