A whole grain, Rhubarb Muffin Recipe! Simple healthy one-bowl recipe made with oats, your choice of flour, optional seeds and nuts, sweetened with maple syrup. Vegan and GF adaptable!
- 2 cups flour (spelt, whole wheat or gluten free flour blend )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (no lumps!)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1–2 tablespoon chia or flax seeds (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil, melted coconut oil or butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg ( see notes for vegan adaptable)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup milk, soy milk or nut milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 ½ cups diced rhubarb, divided (cut into small ½ inch dice)
- ½ cup nuts ( sliced almonds or try pecans or walnuts) optional
- course turbanado sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 350F
To the bowl add egg, oil (or melted coconut oil or butter) maple syrup, vanilla, milk and lemon zest. Give a good stir to combine. Add 2 cups rhubarb( reserving ½ cup for the top -see notes). Add half the sliced almonds (saving some for the top). Spoon the thick-ish batter into a very well greased , non stick muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
Sprinkle the top with remaining almonds. Tuck in few of the reserved rhubarb into the batter of each muffin, colorful side up. Sprinkle with course sugar if you like.
Bake 23-25 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a skewer or small knife into the center of a center muffin. If it comes out clean they are done. Let cool.
Using a knife, loosen the edges of the muffins to release.
These will keep 3-4 days, covered or sealed, at room temp.
Delicious for breakfast “on the go”, snack, or warmed up with cardamon ice cream for dessert!
Reserve ½ cup of the deepest red pieces of rhubarb for the top. For presentation purposes only. 😉
For vegan adaptable, set aside soy or nut milk in a small bowl and increase it to ⅔ cups total. Add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and let curdle. Add to the dry ingredients along with the rest of the liquids.
Keywords: Rhubarb muffins, spelt muffins, healthy muffins, rhubarb recipes, best rhubarb muffins, best rhubarb recipes,