How to make homemade Pumpkin Puree from scratch- a simple easy step-by-step recipe to use in place of canned pumpkin. Learn how to roast pumpkin, puree pumpkin and store it for future use, all in about an hour!
- 1 or more Pie Pumpkins ( 3–3 1/2 lbs)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the pumpkin in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy middle part. A metal spoon works well here.
- Sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Place halves, flesh side down, on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Once the pumpkin is cool, scoop out of the skin and process in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
One small pie pumpkin should make enough puree to equal one 15 oz can.
Do a few pumpkins at a time and freeze in desired portions for later.
If once blended, your puree seems watery you can strain it through cheesecloth. Canned pumpkin is more solid so this would be advisable for traditional pumpkin pies. (That said I have had it work beautifully for pie just as is.)
You can definitely save and roast the pumpkin seeds!
Keywords: pumpkin puree, how to make pumpkin puree, roasted pumpkin, roasting pumpkin