Heart-warming Poblano Corn Chowder is creamy, vegan and full of summertime flavor. Corn, potatoes, and poblano peppers with Mexican spices, in a creamy vegan base. Easy to make and deliciously addicting.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1–2 large poblano peppers, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 3 cups potatoes, diced- yukon, baby, red, or peeled
- 3 cups veggie broth (or use water and 2 teaspoons broth base or boullion cubes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups corn (divided)
- 2 cups milk (regular, soy, almond, oat) I used soy milk and loved it.
Garnish with cilantro and lime, optional sour cream
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onion, 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Lower heat to medium, add bell pepper, poblano peppers and garlic, saute 4-5 minutes until fragrant. Add potatoes and broth and salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano and bay leaf. You should have just enough liquid to cover potatoes- if not, add a little more. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer, until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Place half of the corn in a blender with the milk. Blend until silky smooth. Pour this into the soup pot, along with the remaining half of corn. Simmer for a few minutes until heated through.
- Taste and adjust the salt to taste. Add a squeeze of lime, if needed.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream for extra richness if you like.
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or freeze for later.
- Serving Size: 1 ¼ cup
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 11.2 g
- Sodium: 691.1 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 1.2 mg
Keywords: poblano corn chowder, mexican corn chowder, spicy corn chowder