This Shortbread Cookie recipe results in the most divinely delicious cookie- subtlety sweet and gloriously buttery with a perfect tender crunch. Easy to make, with simple ingredients, they make a beautiful gift. Includes a video.
- 2 sticks (225 g or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled (240 g)
- 1/4 cup rice flour (40 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (Himalayan is good here)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar for 1 minute in a stand mixer until just smooth. Scrape down the sides. Mix again.
- Add vanilla. Mix another few seconds to incorporate.
- Add all-purpose flour, rice flour and salt. Add any flavorings at this time (see notes). Mix on medium speed just until the dough comes together, and starts to pull away from the bowl. Scrape the dough out and pat it into a flattened square.
- On a floured surface, silpat, or floured piece of parchment, roll as evenly as you can to 1/2″ thickness. (Alternatively you can form it into a long “brick”, refrigerate, then slice- see notes)
- Trim the edges and cut into 1 x 3-inch pieces. Poke holes if you like using a fork or toothpick. ( Or feel free to use a cookie cutter, reusing the scraps.)
- Carefully space out 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined sheet pan using a metal spatula for this. Chill the entire tray of cookies for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, or place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place the cold tray of cookies in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest on the tray for a few minutes and move to a cooling rack. They will crisp up as they cool.
Make sure cookies are completely cool and store in a covered container for up to two weeks at room temperature. Freeze up to 3 months.
Brick: On a floured piece of parchment, form the dough into a log, then pat into a brick, 12 inches long by 1 inch tall by 3 inches wide. Use a dough scraper to tidy the edges. Place on a small sheet pan, wrap up, and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 4 days (or freeze for later). Once thoroughly chilled, slice into 24, ½-inch slices. Poke holes if you like. Continue with step 7 in the recipe.
Shortbread Cookie Variations
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed anise seeds + 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cocoa nibs + 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans + 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom + 1/4 cup crystalized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup shredded chocolate
- dip half of the cookie in melted dark chocolate
- Serving Size: one cookie
- Calories: 124
- Sugar: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 25.5 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 20.3 mg
Keywords: shortbread cookie recipe, shortbread cookie video, shortbread cookies, shortbread cookie, best shortbread cookie, classic shortbread cookies, perfect shortbread cookies, shortbread cookie recipe easy,